WHAT IS CURRICULUM?
"Curriculum" ("curricula" is the plural form)
is your educational program, set of courses, or resource materials.
UPON WHAT SHOULD YOU BASE YOUR CURRICULUM SELECTIONS?
The answers to this question will be founded upon what you’ve learned in the last three pages of this Start Homeschooling guide.
- Your child's learning style
- Your teaching style or approach
- Your goals for your child
This step can seem overwhelming and confusing when you're starting your homeschool journey.
We're here to help!
Below, you'll find approaches, resources, and tips to help you make your homeschool curricula selections.
Let children feed on the good, the excellent, the great.
-Susan Schaeffer MaCaulay
- Place a high priority on the basics: reading, math, and language.
- Add extras as you become acclimated to the process.
- Every home educator makes mistakes when buying curriculum.
- Most of us buy too much!
- Avoid curriculum that requires more advance teacher preparation than you're willing to do.
- Just because a curriculum resource works well for someone else, it might not necessarily work for you or for your child. That's the beauty of homeschooling (customizing resources to you and your child).
- If you don't like the material or its presentation, you'll probably not use it faithfully or effectively – no matter how good it is.
- Keep in mind that there is no "perfect" curriculum. Remember that curriculum resources are just tools – and they are often less important than other elements of your home school.
- If you pick something and it doesn't work, it's okay to change to something new. Most homeschoolers "test drive" different resources before finding the ones that work best for them.
- But once you've found resources that work, stick with them. Resist the urge to bolt to other options just because they're new or it seems everyone else is using them.
- By the grace of God, with a bit of effort, creativity, and devotion, you can teach your child effectively – with any curriculum He provides!
- Seek wisdom from Him as you make your selections.
© 2020 Homeschool Iowa & Julie Naberhaus adapted from "The ABC's of Homeschooling in Iowa" by Julie Naberhaus