ABOUT HOMESCHOOL IOWA
Homeschool Iowa exists to equip and encourage Iowa homeschooling families and to promote and protect home education in our state.
Founded in 1992 as NICHE, we are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization managed almost exclusively by volunteers.
Homeschool Iowa membership, resources, and events are offered to all homeschooling families in Iowa and the surrounding area.
- Sponsor the annual Homeschool Iowa Conference
- Provide the annual Homeschool Iowa Graduation ceremony
- Offer Homeschool Iowa Regional Representative and Special Needs Advisor services
- Provide tools, forms, and other needed resources for Iowa homeschoolers
- Communicate with the homeschool community through email, legislative updates, and social media
- Supply social media platforms for Iowa homeschooling families
- Respond to inquiries and requests for information about homeschooling in Iowa
- Educate the public on the laws and merits of parent-directed home education
- Provide our up-to-date, informative website
- Publish & distribute our free Homeschool Iowa magazine
- Monitor and guide state and national legislation affecting homeschooling
- Defend the right to homeschool
- Advocate for the least restrictive laws and policies for homeschooling in Iowa
- Host the annual Homeschool Iowa Capitol Day
- We believe parents have the God-given right and responsibility to raise their children.
- We believe Christ-centered home education develops the full potential of the next generation.
- We believe that children should have an education that fits their needs and giftings.
- We believe that parents who receive encouragement, support, and protection are best able to educate their children.
WE ARE NOT
- A church, nor a replacement for the ministry of the local church
- A substitute for a local homeschool support group
- A correspondence school or curriculum provider
- A legal defense or counseling service
MEET THE BOARD
From left to right: George & Kim Blom, Joe & Elizabeth Bailey, Jeremy & Jodi Vos, Bob & Cathy Sorensen, Jill Oppman, and Aaron & Rhea Bender
Read more about our Homeschool Iowa Board members in our "Meet the Board" blog post.
The members of the Homeschool Iowa board sign a statement of faith,
but no faith statements are required of the general membership.
The History of Homeschool Iowa (NICHE)
Homeschool Iowa (NICHE) 20th Anniversary
The directors and officers of Homeschool Iowa (NICHE) believe:
- The Bible to be the inspired, infallible, divinely preserved Word of God, the supreme and final authority for all faith and life.
- That there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, and His imminent bodily return in power and glory.
- That man was created in the image of God, but fell into sin and is therefore lost, and only those who put their faith in Jesus Christ alone, not trusting in any personal works whatsoever, can be saved.
- That salvation is the free gift of God brought to the sinner by grace and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose substitutionary death on the cross paid the penalty for man’s sin.
- That the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to convict mankind; indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living and service.
- In the spiritual unity of believers through our common faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and that individual doctrinal differences which may exist, outside of the aforementioned (V:1-6), should not hinder the unity of Christian home educators.
- In accordance with the teachings of the Holy Bible as the inerrant Word of God, for all purposes of the corporation and these bylaws, “marriage” means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word “spouse” refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or wife.
A one year Homeschool Iowa membership starts at $50.